Key Market Insights
Dental implants are artificial teeth that are used to support dental prosthetics. The growing global prevalence of oral disorders is driving up demand for these implants. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there will be 3.5 billion people suffering from oral diseases in 2020. Thus, the rising prevalence of oral diseases worldwide is expected to drive up demand for these implants during the forecast period. The demand for tooth implants is expected to grow rapidly because of the advantages of implants over other tooth-replacement methods such as:
- natural-looking teeth, and
The global dental implants market was estimated at USD 7,873.49 million in 2020, USD 8,536.28 million in 2021, and is projected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 8.78% to reach USD 14,194.47 million by 2027.
Factors expected to drive market growth during the forecast period include:
- growing awareness about oral health,
- economic growth, and
- the increasing importance of esthetic restoration of tooth implants.
Postponed Elective Procedure During COVID-19 to Cause Revenue Drop
Due to a decrease in elective surgical procedures, the emergence of COVID-19 hampered demand for these implants. During the COVID-19 pandemic, major countries all around the world considered dental care to be given only as an emergency care service. Some of the factors that impacted market growth during the COVID-19 pandemic included
- a decrease in the number of patient visits to emergency care,
- the rapid spread of Covid-19 and associated scare due to aerosol rich typical dental treatments, and
- government regulations in several countries that delayed elective surgeries.
According to the Journal of Oral Implantology, there was a 38.0% decrease in patient visits to emergency dental services at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic compared to the pre-pandemic phase. Nonemergency dental services fell by 30% from pre-COVID-19 levels. As a result, the COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on the utilisation of dental services.
Revenue generated by market participants fell significantly in 2020. For example, Institut Straumann AG reported a -5.4% decrease in total revenues generated in 2020 compared to 2019. In 2020, the Institut Straumann AG‘s dental implant solution segment experienced a significant decline of -14.5%. Furthermore, Envista’s total revenue fell by approximately -15.6%.
However, patient visits to dental clinics and hospitals increased in 2021 as government regulations were relaxed. The demand for implants was high in 2021 due to an increase in patient visits and the reopening of all facilities across the globe. As a result, demand for these implants increased in 2021, increasing the revenues of the market’s key players. Envista’s revenue in 2021 increased by 30.1% when compared to revenue in 2020. As a result, the reopening of healthcare services boosted demand for dental implants in 2021.
Increased Adoption of Digital Implant Dentistry to Augment Market Growth
The titanium implants market is expected to expand during the forecast period.
The titanium surface of the implant fuses with the surrounding bone during the healing process, which can take 3 months to 6 months. The biocompatibility of titanium with body tissues during the healing process, makes them suitable for use in implants.
Because of the rising COVID-19 burden, dental visits in hospitals and clinics have decreased, affecting the manufacturing of dental implants. Dentsply Sirona, for example, reported a 7.6% drop in net sales for the first quarter, or 4.3% in organic terms. Furthermore, these companies are expected to face supply disruptions and backorders on many products.
As a result, recent product launches and product design improvements of titanium dental implants are expected to drive market growth over the forecast period. For example, Implant Direct’s SMARTbase abutment received 510(k) clearance in February 2020 and is now available for sale in the United States. Design and benefit advancements are expected to drive segment growth over the forecast period.
Furthermore, rising research studies demonstrating the efficacy of titanium-based dental implants will boost the segment. For example, according to the study “Titanium Alloys for Dental Implants: A Review,” published in June 2020, alloys cpTi and Ti-6Al-4V are highly satisfactory materials that will be used for dental implants during the study period.
The use of digital technologies in the dental industry is expanding rapidly, with applications ranging from diagnosis to implant design, manufacturing, and placement. Implant procedures are one of the specific aspects of dentistry that have been improved by digital technology.
According to the Journal of Multidisciplinary Care, digital dental technology will enter the mainstream and be used by approximately 34.0% of clinicians by 2024. As a result, the use of digital technology in implants is expected to drive market growth.
In dental offices and laboratories, dental scanners, CAD/CAM machines, CBCT, and 3D printing technology have been used, allowing dentists to implement modern dental treatment approaches. The market is expected to grow positively because of this type of modernization of dental practises and the adoption of the latest technology trends in digital dentistry.
Market Segmentation & Coverage
This research report categorizes the dental implants to forecast the revenues and analyze the trends in each of the following sub-markets:
- Based on Design, the market was studied across Parallel-Walled Dental Implants and Tapered Dental Implants.
- Based on Type, the market was studied across Plate-Form Dental Implants and Root-Form Dental Implants.
- Based on Price, the market was studied across Discounted Implants, Premium Implants, and Value Implants.
- Based on Procedure, the market was studied across Single Stage and Two Stage.
- Based on Material, the market was studied across Titanium Implants and Zirconium Implants. The Titanium Implants is further studied across External Hexagonal Connectors, Internal Hexagonal Connectors, and Internal Octagonal Connectors.
- Based on Component, the market was studied across Abutment and Fixture. The Abutment is further studied across Endosteal Implant, Intramucosal Implant, Subperiosteal Implant, and Transosteal Implant.
- Based on End User, the market was studied across Dental Laboratories, Hospitals and Clinics, and Specialty Dental Cosmetic Hospitals.
- Based on Region, the market was studied across Americas, Asia-Pacific, and Europe, Middle East & Africa. The Americas is further studied across Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, and United States. The United States is further studied across California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wisconsin. The Asia-Pacific is further studied across Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand. Europe, Middle East & Africa is further studied across France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, United Arab Emirates, and United Kingdom.
The market is found to be moderately competitive and consists of very few major players. Companies are found implementing certain strategic initiatives, such as mergers, new product launches, acquisitions, and partnerships, which help them in strengthening their market positions. For instance, Zimmer Dental introduced Zimmer Zfx CAD/CAM Abutments to expand its global presence in digital dentistry by providing complete dental solutions. However, the competitive pricing pressure faced by prominent players is hampering the growth of the market.
FPNV Positioning Matrix
The FPNV Positioning Matrix assesses and categorises vendors in the dental implants market based on Business Strategy (Business Growth, Industry Coverage, Financial Viability, and Channel Support) and Product Satisfaction (Value for Money, Ease of Use, Product Features, and Customer Support), assisting businesses in making better decisions and understanding the competitive landscape.
Market Share Analysis
The Market Share Analysis examines vendors in terms of their contribution to the overall market. It compares its revenue generation in the overall market to that of other vendors in the space. It provides information about how vendors compare in terms of revenue generation and customer base. Knowing market share provides insight into the size and competitiveness of vendors in the base year. It identifies market characteristics such as accumulation, fragmentation, dominance, and amalgamation.
List Of Key Companies Profiled
- Institut Straumann AG (Switzerland)
- Danaher (U.S.)
- Dentsply Sirona (U.S.)
- Henry Schein, Inc. (U.S.)
- Zimmer Biomet (U.S.)
- Osstem Implant (South Korea)
- BioHorizons (U.S.)
- CeraRoot SL (Spain)
Key Industry Developments
- February 2022- Envista Holdings Corporation renewed its partnership agreement with the leading Spanish Dental Service Organization (DSO) – Vitaldent Group. This helped the company to become the preferred supplier of implants.
- January 2021- Dentsply Sirona announced the acquisition of Datum Dental, Ltd. with its strong OSSIX biomaterial portfolio. Datum Dental is an Israel-based company known for its innovative dental regeneration products with the clinically superior proprietary technology GLYMATRIX. This helped the company to strengthen its product portfolio.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Global Dental Implants Market
What is the estimated value of the Global Dental Implants Market?
The Global Dental Implants Market was estimated to be valued at $7873.5 Million in 2020.
What is the growth rate of the Global Dental Implants Market?
The growth rate of the Global Dental Implants Market is 8.7%, with an estimated value of $14194.5 Million by 2027.
What is the forecasted size of the Global Dental Implants Market?
The Global Dental Implants Market is estimated to be worth $14194.5 Million by 2027.
Who are the key companies in the Global Dental Implants Market?
Key companies in the Global Dental Implants Market include 3M Company, Adin Dental Implant Systems Ltd., Avinent Implant System, SLU, Bicon, LLC, Dentsply Sirona Inc., DIO Corporation, Envista Holdings Corporation, Henry Schein Inc. and Osstem Implant Co. Ltd.
- Dental implants market report size, growth & analysis . Dental Implants Market Report Size, Growth & Analysis . (n.d.). Retrieved May 14, 2022, from https://www.fortunebusinessinsights.com/industry-reports/dental-implants-market-100443
- ltd, R. and M. (n.d.). Dental implants market research report by design, type, Price, procedure, material, component, end user, region – global forecast to 2027 – cumulative impact of covid-19. Research and Markets – Market Research Reports – Welcome. Retrieved May 14, 2022, from https://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4857871/dental-implants-market-research-report-by-design
- Dental implants market size, share: 2022 – 27: Industry report. Dental Implants Market Size, Share | 2022 – 27 | Industry Report. (n.d.). Retrieved May 14, 2022, from https://www.mordorintelligence.com/industry-reports/dental-implants-market